Thursday, February 3, 2011

Excess Baggage: The Case for Packing Light


After reading the following article from the New York Times, My Personal Baggage by Amanda Fortini, I have come to realize that I too have a little excess baggage.  I mean, who doesn't keep two pens, old receipts, two wallets, four lipsticks, and a phone in their purse?  Why not have used gladware, a nativity scene, and clothes meant for giveaway in October in the backseat of their car?

My desk at work is similar.  I have piles of student work, three books, two coasters, and sticky notes galore.   I am not a person who leaves my desk clean and empty, ready to start a new day.  My desk is clean three times a year.  The first day of school, the first day of second semester, and the last day of school.  Things pile so quickly!



Also, when I pack, I tend to take too much.  I will say though, a trip or two to Europe and one bag can help cure excess.  I love the quote from Diane Von Furstenburg mentioned in the article, “If you can pack a suitcase well, it means you have balanced your life”.  When packing, make a list like my husband.  Or start to pack mentally like my mom.  It helps to start from the top of your head to your toes.  And remember, unless you are traveling to a third world country, you can get just about anything you might need in an emergency at a pharmacy.



Take a few notes from this article, and maybe you too can start to simplify your life.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment