Thursday, August 5, 2010

Laissez les bons temps roulez

It has been over a year since Travis and I have visited our good friends Devyn and Brandon Smith in New Orleans.

 Ever since they moved there in May of 2007, we have tried our very best to visit them as often as possible.  This is because we absolutely love hanging out with the Smiths and also because we love visiting New Orleans.  We are lucky to have friends that live there, because they have the inside scoop on great restaurants and festivals.

One of my favorite things that I have ever done in New Orleans is attend Jazz Fest.

 It is mainly a Jazz  and Blues Festival that has artists from Simon and Garfunkel to Bon Jovi.  We did not attend this past spring (much to our disappointment) but were able to visit in the spring of 2009.  People take their Jazz Fest seriously.  You can see the flags in the picture above.  This is from people who set up shop early in the morning with their fancy lawn chairs and flags to mark their spots.  The year we visited the headliners were Kings of Leon and Bon Jovi.  While walking around you might see some of these guys. 



And after the show you might see this.



 This guy had a really good time at Jazz Fest.  Don't worry, he is still alive.  I kid, I kid. 

Both acts were great, and the street music was entertaining but the real reason you attend Jazz Fest is for the food.  Ahhhhhh, the food


It seems like there are hundreds of food stands with all kinds of Cajun food and drink.  Be prepared to eat more than one meal while at Jazz Fest.  My favorite thing at Jazz Fest is a sandwich called Cochon du Lait.  This po-boy does not exist anywhere other than Jazz Fest, so it is very popular food stand.  It is a pork po-boy made with milk fed pork and served up hot.  Ughhhhhmmmmmm.  I honestly don't have any adjectives to describe this sandwich.  My mouth is watering now.  My friend Devyn actually found a restaurant in New Orleans (I think restaurant is a relative term, she described it more as a guy's trunk) that sells Cochon du Lait at times other than Jazz Fest.  That is how important this sandwich is.  Go to Jazz Fest.  Eat a Cochon du Lait.

Enough about Cochon du Lait.  I realize I can't get one for lunch today so I will have to deal with it.  Moving on.  If you want a great meal in New Orleans are you are not there during Jazz Fest, visit Jacque Imo's


As you can see it is kind of a hole in the wall place, but it has great authentic Cajun food.  And a very personable owner.


Devyn and I wanted to take a picture with him and he jumped into our arms without any warning.  He is lucky we caught him.  Also, he was completely sober.  Just kidding.  He was not sober at all.  Can you tell?

Jacque Imo's is an all night kind of thing, so plan accordingly.

I could write a ton more about New Orleans, so I will save it for another post so as not to bore you.  If you want to eat well and meet some crazy people, visit New Orleans! 


P.S.  It took Travis almost the entire drive from Oklahoma to Louisiana to pronounce the title of this post.  If you can do it, props.

1 comment: