Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Favorite Travel Items


Sometimes the hardest part of planning your summer vacation can be packing.  It can be stressful having to plan day by day exactly what you are going to wear, especially if you don't know the exact weather forecast or if you don't have definite plans.  I almost always over pack, which can be a terrible mistake if you are visiting multiple cities in one trip.  So, I thought that I would share some of my favorite travel items and a few clever things to do to make packing less stressful.  Sorry guys, this post is for the ladies only.  You may find this boring.  Maybe I can get Travis to do his packing list later today. 

First, always make a list.  Travis always does this and I started doing it a few years ago.  It helps you organize what you need and you will never forget something important like underwear.  Isn't this pre-made packing list I found on Apartment Therapy, clever?


Shoes take up a ton of room, so decide on only a few pairs.  I know that this can be difficult.  Trust me, I love me some shoes, but they are space stealers and ultimately, you only need a few pairs.  Some shoes that have treated me well over the past few years are Birkenstocks.  I noticed them the first time that I traveled to Europe because all of the women were wearing cute patent leather Birkenstocks like these and these


I wear these suckers out!  After three or four wears they start to mold to your feet and fit extremely well.  They also make long days full of walking on cobblestone streets bearable.  My sister, my mom, and I wore them during the day when we visited New York City a few weeks ago, too. If you are visiting a place where you know you will be walking, bring comfortable shoes that you don't mind getting dirty.  Ladies, DO NOT bring your favorite shoes!  They will get disgusting and you will be sad when you get home when you find they are ruined. 

I always bring a cute neutral sandal that can dress an outfit up just in case you decide to go out on the town.  Maybe something like this:



If you know that you are going out and really need some heels, I would suggest something that you don't mind getting dirty.  You never know how far you will need to walk to dinner or a show and the streets in big cities can get pretty gross. 

When packing your shoes, always put them on the side of the bag, and put them in last after you have put in your clothes.  Also, place them soles out, so the bottom of them do not get on your clean clothes.  Gross!

I like to bring clothes that transfer from day to night, like jersey dresses or skirts.  Both my mom and sister have this dress from Anthropologie and it is very comfortable and extremely cute.  Great for a hot day and dinner that night!   Also, it packs great because it is jersey knit. 
I would also wear something like this, also from Anthropologie. 

It looks like a skirt and a shirt but really it is a dress.  Major space saver!

I wore these shorts from J.Crew while I was in Europe and they were a great buy.  The best part about them is that they don't stretch out after one wear and always look clean.  This was great for a two week trip with no laundry facilities. 



Also, bring at least one good cardigan and one good light jacket.  Both are a necessity for the cold airplane trip to your destination (and also serve as a great pillow).  You never know when there will be a cool spell, and the last thing you want is to be shivering in a tank top and shorts.  I like this cardigan from J.Crew as well as this jacket from Anthropologie.  Both are cool weather options that pack nicely and don't wrinkle. 


Most importantly, you need a purse that can hold all of your important documents and won't weigh you down after a long day of walking.  I love a good cross body purse like this black leather one from Nordstrom. 



I carried a similar style that is brown leather and it was the perfect size for holding my wallet, phone, camera, passport, and maps. 

Finally, I like to bring this micro fiber towel on trips. 

I accidentally left the one I have had since my sophomore year in college (p.s. that is way too long to own a towel) in Pisa and had to get a new one from Bed Bath and Beyond.   I was sad to lose this towel because it dries quickly and fits on your head perfectly.  Also, if you have experienced the Pei Wei napkin like towels like the ones we expereienced in Italy, you will need something else to dry you off.   It also rolls up nicely and doesn't take up too much room. 

I hope that these tips help you on your next summer vacation!  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or things that you cannot travel without, so I can include it on my next travel tip post.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment