Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Italian Toby

Travis and I have a dog named Toby.  He is three years old and is a mutt, most likely a pomeranian/spaniel mix.

Toby as a puppy. 
All grown up!
Toby is a very unique dog and has a strange and funny personality.  He is very cute when he sleeps because he curls up very small in corners of couches, gently resting his head on a pillow.  If Travis and I had the time and patience, he could win a few agility dog shows.  He also likes to rub his face on dead stuff.  Toby has given Travis and me quite a bit of joy over the last three years and we love him very much.  

While we were in Venice this past summer, we noticed the abundance of dogs.  They were everywhere and it made me miss Toby.  In Venice, we found a dog that we fondly named "Italian Toby", simply because he resembled our dog so much.  This was soon shortened to "Tttooby", which translates to Toby in an Italian accent.  Really put the emphasis on the "t" when you say it.  Try it.  It's pretty fun, isn't it?

Well, this dog looked like Toby and had kind of a Toby swagger.  He also acted the way we wish American Toby acted.  We noticed him while walking to La Salute Church, a church that seems to rise up out of the water, resting weightlessly like meringue on a pie. 


I highly suggest visiting this church on your trip to Venice.  It is magical, inside and out.  And just maybe you will meet Italian Toby.  We first spotted him hanging out in front of an art gallery and he trotted behind us all the way to the church.  Before we went inside the church, Travis and I decided to take a seat on the steps leading up to the church and relax.  Italian Toby decided to do the same.  He curled up next to me on a step and I proceeded to give him some good scratches.


He just lounged on the church steps and calmly watched the people pass by.  This is the way I wish American Toby acted.  He barks at everything that passes, never just lounging around others.  Just with me, American Toby sleeps all of the time.  He is sweet, but when people are around, he just can't seem to chill.  Italian Toby reminded us so much of American Toby and really made me homesick for the first time on the trip.  You can see why.


Quite the lounging view, huh?

 

 Doesn't he look like American Toby?  

 

This is the spot on my back porch where Toby lounges every day from 9:00 and 9:30 a.m.  Every day.  Like clockwork.  


If you have a dog at home, give him some scratches in honor of Italian Toby.  I know I will give American Toby a little bit of love too, even if he is a little onery.  Enjoy! 










No comments:

Post a Comment